Thursday, February 6, 2020

St. John Chrysostom’s prayers for each hour of the day and night

St. John Chrysostom wrote a prayer for each hour of the day and night. Each is one sentence. They are loved by those who love asceticism and speak to core elements of the heart's desire when living ascetically.

DURING THE NIGHT:

(1) O LORD, deprive me not of your heavenly blessings.

(2) O LORD, deliver me from eternal torments.

(3) O LORD, if I have sinned in mind, in thought, in word or in deed, forgive me.

(4) O LORD, deliver me from all ignorance, heedlessness, cowardice and hard indifference.

(5) O LORD, deliver me from all temptation.

(6) O LORD, enlighten my heart which has been darkened by lust.

(7) O LORD, I, being human, have sinned; being God, forgive me in your compassion, for you know the weakness of my soul.

(8) O LORD, send your mercy to help me so that I may extol your glorious Name.

(9) O LORD, Jesus Christ, inscribe me, your servant, in the Book of Life and grant me a peaceful end.

(10) O LORD, though I have done nothing good in your sight, grant that through your grace I may now make a good beginning.

(11) O LORD, shower upon my heart the dew of your grace.

(12) O LORD of heaven and earth, remember me, your sinful, shameful and unclean servant, in your kingdom.



DURING THE DAY:

(1) O LORD, accept me in repentance.

(2) O LORD, do not leave me.

(3) O LORD, lead me not into temptation.

(4) O LORD, grant me good thoughts.

(5) O LORD, grant me tears, remembrance of death and humility.

(6) O LORD, grant me mindfulness to confess all my sins.

(7) O LORD, grant me humility, chastity and obedience.

(8) O LORD, grant me patience, courage and meekness.

(9) O LORD, implant in me the root of blessings – the fear of you in my heart.

(10) O LORD, grant that I may love you with all my mind and soul and that I may do your will in all things.

(11) O LORD, deliver me from evil men, from the devil, from bodily passions and from all unlawful things.

(12) O LORD, I know that you act according to your will; may your will also be in me, a sinner, for you are blessed unto all ages. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment